Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Linking production and consumption

I attended the Sustainable North Carolina conference yesterday, where workshops and awards were presented. There was a much larger attendance than I expected and it was a very diverse group of folks. From lobbyist and lawyers, that were getting to know their adversaries, to the Birkenstock crowd that were pushing green products and services, it was evident that sustainable is of interest to a wide cross section.

What was not discussed yesterday, and what I find is hardly ever discussed in US conferences, are the links between consumption and production. I my opinion, this is the topic that must become the core topic of these conferences, because it is at the root of the matter of sustainable. .. And also a key issue for enterprise.

I keep coming back to the ethics of globalization of markets in the light of a complete lack of global social and environmental policy. Why are we so tolerant of inefficiency in government and policy and so intolerant of it inside of enterprise? We become excited at lower prices at the gas pump and at Wal Mart, but are apathetic when our government performs terribly after Katrina. The whole Katrina incident is indicative of how poorly the the government performs. I will also say that our military is also a key indicator. Give me an almost unlimited budget and the latest technology and I too can succeed militarily against an enemy 25 years behind me in battle tech. So could any other country in the world. One thing for sure the Bush government can do, is to through money at a problem...But this does not mean it is money well spent, it is just spent

I think the real issues are boundary issues. Can we agree on the objectives for our planetary ecosphere and then develop a life style to live within the boundaries? Does this have to be a life style of an austere monk? I don't think so.

I would hope that the next government will address two issues: The first is to achieve energy independence for the US. This will create millions of jobs and drive clean tech investment. The second is to socialize the medical system. If any incoming government will address and then achieve these two objectives, the country will be more stable, her people more productive, and we can spend some of this obscene military budget on domestic issues and make the US the most desired place to live in the world...And do it by creating opportunity within the boundaries of what is sustainable and important.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home