Thursday, May 13, 2004

A Passing

Today one of my colleagues at work died after about 1 month of severe illness with complications from lung cancer. He is the second one to die in less than a year. Today is also my 49th birthday.

I have paid little attention to birthdays in my 20's, 30's and 40's, but as I get closer to my 50th and I began to have colleagues die, its a little disconcerning. Father Time stares back at me in the mirror every morning.

The kids will all be in college next year and life is more unsettled than it has ever been, but strangely, I am finding great peace and solace from working at my farm. Unlike the work I do in management and research, each day on the farm is a finished project. Whether you are sowing or mowing, planting or plowing...or just weeding, you seem to get finished and you can see what you have accomplished. It does kind of piss you off though when the bugs or the deer eat your hard work. Tomorrow I will work out there all day and I will be a happy boy.

I watched the tape of that guy being beheaded. They must have had him drugged out of his mind... because he did not struggle. I would have been cussing and fighting all the way. Plus the video did not look that real.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home