Tuesday, May 11, 2004

The beauty of CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)

This year, my wife and I joined a group supporting Timberwood Organics. This is a small organic farm located in Mebane, NC. Ray is the farmer and we paid ~$500 for 28 weeks of fresh produce. I run down to the farm and pick up the 'greenbox' once a week for ourselves and several of our friends. The quality of the produce has been excellent so far and I enjoy my weekly visits with old Ray. The beauty of this is that you know where your food is coming from, the land is being taken care of, and the money stays in the community. A CSA also spreads the risk for the farmer, who gets his money up front but the patron runs the risks of weather, drought, insects, etc.

I really do like the feel of this arrangement and wish that I could find a similar situation for meats and dairy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home